40+ Manly Green Halloween Costumes, Put Together from Things You Already Own or Will Regularly Wear
In the US, Halloween has lost its original meaning. We no longer celebrate All Hallows’ Eve and take time to remember the dead. Rather, children roam the neighborhood in costume, searching for candy, and adults come together to dress up and have a great time. It is now a party holiday, pure and simple.
And, I am ok with that. I love Halloween.
From an early age, I loved playing pretend. I also self-profess to having an inner fat kid fighting to get out. I was made for Halloween.
I like to go all out with my costumes and really have fun with the holiday.
Now, as I mature and think a little more about my actions, I want to better align my love of Halloween with my love of the environment, which can sometimes be at odds.
Halloween Costume Stores: Far From Green
Not everyone loves Halloween as much as I do and they don’t want to put a lot of effort into a costume. A common default is to go to a Costume Store, in-person or online, and shell out $50 or more for a cheaply made pre-packaged Halloween Costume.
Maybe be Batman, or a vampire, possibly a Bavarian Guy, a Ghostbuster… the list goes on and on.
After you’ve worn one of these cheap costumes, what are you going to do with it? You could reuse it over and over again for years to come. That is an option, but it probably won’t hold up or you’ll be “Tom, the guy who always dresses up as Mario.”
Most of these costumes, however, get worn once and are then tossed. That is a waste. Wasted plastic and cardboard packaging, wasted synthetic fabric, and a wasted opportunity to save money by using what you already own or by buying a piece of clothing that you will continue to wear.
40+ Manly Green Halloween Costumes
Manly Green Halloween Costumes Using a Flannel Shirt
- Grow a beard, wear a flannel, carry an axe (blunt or with a guard, please)
- Lumber Sexual (Hipster Lumberjack)
- The above, with a more stylish haircut and tattoos. Maybe carry a french press and pretend to work at a coffee shop
- Construction Worker
- Carry around a sledge-hammer
- Ranch Hand/Cowboy
- Add cowboy hat and high quality leather gloves.
- Ron Swanson
- Mustache, scotch, bacon – this is more a lifestyle than a mere costume
- Brawny Man
- Red flannel, clean shave, carrying a roll of paper towels.
- Wilson, Home Improvement
- Add a floppy fishing hat and make a popsicle stick fence to hide your face behind
- Paul Bunyan
- Google it
- Add a puffy vest and neon orange hat
Manly Green Halloween Costumes Using a Suit
- Mad Men Character
- Anchorman Anchor
- Pick your poison.
- Richie Tenenbaum
- Men in Black
- Black suit, black tie, black sun glasses. Carry a silver pen to erase people’s memories.
- FBI Agent
- Tony Stark
- Well trimmed facial hair required, large showy sunglasses optional
- Wall Street Banker
- Think: Wolf of Wall Street
- Bill Lumbergh, Office Space
- White collar and cuff shirt, suspenders, and white coffee cup. “Mmm, yeah, I’m going to have to go ahead and ask you to come in on Sunday, too.”
- Bill Nye
- Bow tie and science!
- American Psycho
- Wear a clear plastic poncho over a suit. Keep the plastic poncho in your car the rest of the year, when not pretending to be a psychopath.
- Clark Kent, Superman
- Wear a superman t-shirt underneath your partially open dress shirt
- Depending on how you play it, Borat and an Anchorman Anchor are pretty much the same costume.
Manly Green Halloween Costumes Using Normal Clothing
- Elliot, E.T.
- Red hoodie, handle bars zip-tied to a milk crate, something the size of an alien wrapped in a white towel
- Cousin Eddie, Christmas Vacation
- Bathrobe, orange hose, cigar, whisky glass, hat with fuzzy ears. “Shitter was full.”
- Two Men Holding Hands Emoji
- Blue shirt and khaki pants, yellow shirt and jeans. Man up and hold hands.
- Peter Parker, Spiderman
- Joel Goodsen, Risky Business
- Pants optional
- Walter White
- Mustache, green dress shirt tucked into white briefs
- Bare Knuckle Boxer
- Handlebar mustache, thick suspenders with no shirt, black pants.
Manly Green Halloween Costumes Using a Tuxedo
- James Bond
- Bond. James Bond.
- Jay Gatsby
- Carry around a martini glass and lapse between being the life of the party and paranoid
Manly Green Halloween Costumes Using a Bed Sheet
- Think: Jim Belushi
- Make a giant diaper out of a sheet. Use plenty of safety-pins.
- Sheet tide in a bundle, attached to a stick
Manly Green Halloween Costumes Using Scrubs
Reuse scrubs as excellent lounge wear around your house
- Randle Patrick McMurphy (Jack Nicholson), One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest
- Don’t know him? Watch the movie!
Manly Green Halloween Costumes Using Outdoor Recreational Clothing
- Yukon Cornelius, Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer
- Dr. Allan Grant, Jurassic Park
- Owen (Chris Pratt), Jurassic World
- Arctic Explorer
- Steve Irwin
- Ski or Snowboarder Instructor
- Walter Sobchak, The Big Lebowski
- Dress like a guy at a gun show. Carry a can of Folgers coffee.
- Play off the recently released movie, A Walk in the Woods. Haven’t seen it, but the book is an all-time favorite.
- Rafting Guide